Baby fell off bed: what you have to do
What to Do When Baby Falls Off the Bed? If you're a parent or caregiver of a young baby, you are likely busy with many tasks, while your baby moves and squirms frequently.
Despite their small size, their flailing arms and kicking legs pose several risks, including the possibility of falling from your bed.
Even though it's best to prevent falls, accidents can occur. It can be frightening when your baby falls off the bed, but here's how you can manage the situation.
To begin with, avoid panicking. If your baby is showing signs of distress, keeping your calm will help you deal with them more effectively.
Falling off the bed may cause your baby to lose consciousness, and they may seem limp or asleep, but they usually regain consciousness quickly.
Regardless, falling off the bed is a medical emergency, especially if your baby has a severe head injury with visible signs of bleeding or unconsciousness.
In such a case, immediately dial 911 or local emergency services.
Avoid moving your baby unless they're in immediate danger of further harm. If your baby is vomiting or having a seizure, turn them to their side, while keeping their neck straight. If there is bleeding, apply gentle pressure with gauze, a clean towel, or cloth until help arrives.
If your baby appears unharmed, comfort them gently as they may be frightened. While comforting, inspect their head for any visible signs of injury. If your baby is under one year old, you should call your doctor after any fall from a bed.
If you don't immediately notice any injuries, reassure your child, and examine their body for any bruises or injuries once they have calmed down.
Signs you should go to the ER
Even if your baby didn't lose consciousness or appear to have a severe injury, there are signs that may require you to take them to the emergency room (ER).
These signs include:
- Inconsolable behavior
- Bulging soft spot in the front of the head
- Continuous rubbing of the head
- Excessive sleepiness
- Bloody or yellow fluid coming from the nose or ears
- High-pitched cry
- Changes in balance or coordination
- Pupils that aren't the same size
- Sensitivity to light or noise
If you observe any of these symptoms, seek immediate medical attention.
If you notice any unusual behavior or just feel that something isn't right with your baby, seek medical attention promptly. It's always better to be safe than sorry in these situations.
However, keep in mind that while it's essential to observe your baby and consult with their doctor as needed, most babies do not sustain significant injuries or head trauma from falling off the bed.
Regular bed surface vs. Anytoyz Comfort Baby Bed.
Here's what you should do after your child falls:
- Your child may feel sleepy, and you should ask their doctor if you need to wake them up at regular intervals to check for concussion symptoms.
- Your child may also experience irritability, shorter attention span, vomiting, or head and neck pain.
- If your child is breathing normally and behaving normally, letting them rest can be beneficial. However, if they're difficult to wake up or can't be fully woken up at a normal interval, contact their healthcare provider.
- Consult with your child's doctor about whether to give them pain medication and the appropriate dosage.
- For at least 24 hours, the doctor may advise against rough or vigorous play to minimize the risk of further injury. This includes avoiding riding toys or climbing.
- Adult-supervised activities such as playing with blocks or puzzles, going on stroller rides, or listening to a story can be safe for your child.
Key Points to Remember
Having your baby fall from a bed can be a frightening experience. However, most falls don't result in serious injury. If your baby seems fine and behaves normally after a fall from a bed, they're probably okay.
If you have any concerns or questions about what to watch for and how long to monitor your baby, consult your doctor.
Keep in mind that babies can move quickly and unexpectedly. Always keep a close eye on them and stay within reach whenever they're on a bed.
To avoid a baby falling out of bed — buy a portable baby bed from Anytoyz.